Terracotta Lion Sculptures by Mandeville-Combeleran 1880-1905
An extremely rare pair of terracotta lions with plinths and original glass eyes. Manufactured at Castelnaudary by the Mandeville pottery which was established in 1880, becoming ‘Mandeville-Combeleran’ in 1905. The pottery was the most important maker in Castelnaudary (Aude). These lions bear the earliest stamp of production from 1880-1905, and this, coupled with them being an original pair, on their original plinths, with rarely seen glass eyes make them very important beasts indeed!